Finding the Right Book For You
General Rules to Follow for Finding the Right Book for You
Five Finger Test
- Open your book to a page in the middle that is all text without any pictures.
- Hold up 5 fingers on one hand.
- Begin reading at the top of the page.
- Put down a finger each time you stumble over a word or come to a word you do not know.
- If you can get to the bottom of the page and still have at least one finger up, this book has passed the five finger test!
"Just Right" Books
- print size is perfect (white space too)
- topic is interesting
- passes the five finger test (just a few words too hard)
- from a series you read
- understand and like the first sentence
- front fly, back cover, or back fly interesting
- perfect amount of pictures
- reading level is in a good range